Sunday, September 30, 2007

2 sox - 2 circs

Knitting is personal
There is no WRONG way to knit if you like the way your knitting looks
Needles
Use the circular needles of your choice
I prefer Addi Turbos
the length of the circular includes 2 tips (to knit with) and a cable
the longer the length, the longer the knitting tips
I prefer 2 - 32” circulars
Some knitters prefer 2 needles of different lengths
Again, It’s a personal choice, pick what you feel most comfortable using
To help prevent confusion, you can place erasers on the ends of the non-working circular
For the tutorial, I will be casting on initially with 2 different colored yarns to show how to start the sox
I will be knitting children’s sox, however, I will also give directions for Medium Woman’s Sox
To prevent your yarn from getting tangled, put the yarn in a Ziploc bag (NO plastic zipper)
Bring the yarn up the opposite sides of the bag, close the middle of the bag, with the yarn coming out the sides. This DOES work if you are knitting 2 socks from the same ball. You are working both socks from opposite ends of the same ball of yarn. This will result in Reverse Fraternal socks.

Using the cast-on of your choice (i use a long tail cast on)
20 stitches = 10” of yarn
With the 1st needle, cast on total number of stitches
(I will be using 32 st / 16 per needle for the tutorial)
Move half the stitches to the 2nd circular
(for the tutorial, that is 16 stitches)
With the 1st needle,
cast on the total number of stitches for the 2nd sock
Move half the stitches to the 2nd circular
You will have 2 circulars with 2 sets of stitches
(2 sets of 16 for the tutorial)
Slide the stitches to the other end of the needles

Using the yarn from the first sock, join the stitches,
being careful not to twist,
Knit the first (16) stitches according to the pattern.
Repeat with the 2nd sock.
After you finish knitting the cuff, knit the leg of the sock
at this point, i ripped out the peach yarn and
started a 2nd sock out of the pink
Now it’s time to knit the heel
After both heels are knit, it’s time to turn the heels
Since I count my rounds worked to determine the length of the heel,
I place a pin at the beginning of the heel turn
I then count my rounds worked till I get ready for the TOE

I put a stitch marker at both sides of the heel
When I work the gusset decrease, I can see how many stitches are worked
This will also show me at a glance that I am doing my decreases at a consistent rate
For the purpose of the tutorial, there are 10 heel stitches

Now, continue knitting the pattern down
the instep as you do the gusset decreases
I need to end the gusset decreases having 16 stitches on my needles when the Gusset Decreases are completed
So I will need 6 gusset stitches = 3 per side
That means there will be 3 stitches, a Stitch Marker, 10 Heel Stitches, a Stitch Marker, 3 stitches

I have completed my gusset decreases
Now I re-check my gauge on the sole of the sock
Guage is still 10 rounds per inch
I know I want the foot to be a total of 4 ½”
Which means a total of 45 rounds
The toe is 10 rounds
So, from the heel turn to the beginning of the toe will require 35 rounds
I am at 30 rounds now, so I need 5 more rounds
I am ready for round 1 of the pattern stitch down the instep
So I will knit 5 rounds of the pattern, then start the toe

The toes are now ready to be closed
Cut the yarn, leaving a 10” tail
Thread a darning needle and Kitchner the toes closed
OR
use a 3 needle bind off to close the toes
Whichever you prefer
To Kitchner the toes
Holding the needles together
1. 1st stitch in the front as to purl (leave on)
2. 1st stitch in the back as to knit (leave on)
3. 1st stitch as to knit (take off) 2nd stitch as to purl (leave on)
4. 1st stitch as to purl (take off) 2nd stitch as to knit (leave on)
Continue working step 3 & 4 until all stitches are worked
Bring yarn to inside of sock and weave in ends

I was asked to create the tutorial after teaching Deb Brown to knit
2 sox on 2 circs
I was at Yarn Garden getting yarn for a project
Someone was considering learning 2 sox – 2 circs
I told her I would teach her & the yarn store owner asked when I could teach a class
So I will be using this tutorial to teach on Sat Oct 6
Cathy Hannigan Thur Sept 27 ~ 4PM




















No comments: